Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Malaysian Monday #3 - Pineapple Jam Tarts

The traditional pineapple jam tarts is my family's favourite cookie during the Chinese New Year (CNY) festive season. There are different varieties of pineapple jam tarts. We prefer the traditional ones with a ball of jam sitting on a circle of pastry. Two years ago, I tried making the Nastar version, but everyone in the family found them too buttery.

I only make pineapple jam tarts once a year because it involves a lot of work starting with making the pineapple jam and then the pastry. The least amount of work required is in eating the tarts.

Pineapple Jam
2 medium-sized pineapples
320gm raw sugar (may need more sugar if the pineapples are not sweet)
1 cinnamon stick
  1. Remove the outer skin and the eyes of the pineapple, cut into half and remove the hard core in the middle.
  2. Then, cut into tiny bits (similar to chopped garlic). Note: you can grate the pineapple as well, but I find with this method you can still chew on the tiny pineapple bits. There is usually quite a bit of juice, so I will also drain or strain the excess juice before placing it into the pan.
  3. Place the chopped pineapple, sugars and cinnamon stick into a pan (I used a non-stick wok) and cook for about 1-2 hour, stirring occassionally. The cooking time depends on how much juice there is.
  4. Cook till the jam is dry and juices have evaporated. Remove the cinnamon stick.
  5. Remove from the pan to cool.
Note: the jam can be made ahead and stored in the fridge or freezer. 


Pastry
600gm plain flour
1 tsp salt
65gm margarine, cut into cubes
250gm butter, cut into cubes
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 egg white, beaten (leave aside the other egg white unbeaten, just in case)


  1. Place flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Rub the margarine and butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
  2. Add in the egg yolk. Mix well. Slowly add in the beaten egg white and knead to form dough into a ball.
  3. If the dough is still crumbly, then add a little of the extra beaten egg white to bind together and the dough has the right consistency. Option: instead of egg white, add milk or icy cold water.
  4. Roll the dough to about 0.5cm thick. Using a tart mould or cutter, cut out the shapes.
  5. Roll the jam into small balls to place into the centre of the cut-out pastry. 
  6. Cut a small diamond to place on the centre of the jam. Follow the same process until dough is finished.
  7. Bake the tarts in a pre-heated oven at 140 degree C for 15-20 minutes. (Note: for my oven it's 90C). Cool the tarts on rack before storing. 
Makes about 75 pieces.
Note: with the amount of jam made, I needed to make two recipes of the pastry.

Another submission for Malaysian Monday, pop over to Shaz's blog - Test with Skewer to find out more.



    5 comments:

    1. They look fantastic! You are so right, they are a lot of work. I made some last year but I don't think I will make them this year, see how I feel. Maybe I can beg some of yours :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. How yummy looking are these!!!! My mum used to make these every year too. I made it with her ONE year and I remember what a perfectionist she was, and I had no patience. I just wanted them baked and eaten!..your daughters are so lucky...must get off my lazy butt one of these YEARS.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Charmaine, do u come from a baba nyonya family? can't believe u still bake so much despite staying abroad. can even make a good business and sell man, hahaha!!!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Chin Nee: no Baba/Nyonya background. Over here, no one sells the jam tarts, so have to DIY, unlike in Msia where there are plenty of ppl selling. More choices too. I didn't make too much, small amount to give away as gifts and the rest for us to consume. My two girls love the tarts.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Yummmm...didn't make any. In fact, have not made for years and years now. Used to in my younger days - would buy...and this year, my missus bought the rolled ones. Somehow they're simply not the same.

      ReplyDelete